The schedule of fees for the beach bonfire permit shall be established through local ordinances and resolutions as described below:
- $50 shall be remitted to SWFD per SWFD Beach Bonfire Ordinance 2010-02 and SWFD Resolution 10-10 (effective date 2010)
- $50 shall be remitted to Walton County per Walton County Code of Ordinances Chapter 22 and Resolution 2021-27 (effective date 2021)
- The total fee per beach bonfire shall be $100.00 cash/check or $105.00 for credit card payments ($5 Credit card processing fee).
- Both fees shall be collected by SWFD.
- Permits can be obtained for any South Walton beach public access, and are first come, first served.
- Most of our locations have a limit on the quantity of bonfires each night.
- Applicants wishing to obtain a permit for a private location must have and present written permission from the property owner during the application process.
- The person obtaining the permit must be present during the hours of the bonfire, and provide your legal name on the permit. Your permit will be revoked if a legal name is not provided.
- The approved bonfire permit must be presented upon request of a Fire Official, Law Enforcement Officer, or Walton County Code Compliance Officer.
- The South Walton Fire District reserves the right to check for permit compliance at any time.
- Authorized permits are limited to 29 people or less.
- Gatherings on the beach of 30 people or more will be required to provide an approved special event permit from Walton County prior to obtaining a bonfire permit.
- Participants under the age of 18 must be chaperoned by an adult EIGHTEEN (18) years of age or older.
- FOR SUCH GROUPS, THE PERMIT WILL ONLY BE ISSUED TO THE CHAPERONE.
- Children should be accompanied by an adult at all times when near a recreational fire.
SETUP AND MATERIAL:
- Unsuitable wind or weather conditions must be taken into consideration prior to and during the actual bonfire; adverse conditions may cause the revocation of this permit.
- Refunds or rainchecks are not granted on the permits, so please plan your bonfire event carefully.
- Flammable and/or combustible liquids must not be utilized for fueling the bonfires.
- Use paper and matches rather than lighter fluid/gasoline to ignite your fire.
- Bonfire material must not consist of salt treated lumber, tar paper, contents containing any rubber products, creosote treated lumber, glue impregnated material, plastic, foam, and household trash.
- All burn material shall be free of nails/ metals.
- Bonfire material must be placed in a metal burn barrel or tub.
- Keep minimum of (3) feet clearance from the outer edge of the barrel at all times.
- Material should be stacked no higher than four (4) feet.
- Servicing of the bonfire site will be accomplished by hand carrying the equipment and supplies to the site.
- Vehicles shall not service the bonfire site (unless you have a beach vehicle permit).
- Bonfires must be at least 100 feet away from habitable structures and a minimum of 50 feet away from vehicles, public roads, other structures, plants and vegetation.
CLEAN UP AND RESTORATION:
- Upon completion of the bonfire, all ashes and leftover material must be thoroughly wet down and removed from the beach.
- Material and/or hot ashes shall not be buried in the sand or disposed of in a trash dumpster.
- Keep a garden hose, bucket of water or other extinguishing device nearby.
- Cleanup and restoration of the site must be completed by the expiration date and time set forth by this permit.
- The person obtaining the permit is responsible for providing the trash bags, removing of the trash and placing all the trash in the proper containers.
Order Permit Online:
- Persons that light a beach bonfire without a permit are in violation of SWFD and Walton County Ordinances.
- Penalties for lighting a fire on the beach without a permit is $500.00 as listed in Walton County Resolution 2021-151
If you need assistance with this process our Administrative office is open Monday through Friday, between 8am and 4pm
South Walton Fire District
for an informative brochure.
911 N County Highway 393
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459